Kinesio taping has recently been the highlight of therapeutic taping with the mass media coverage of volleyball players during the Beijing Olympics. Here at Return to Function, we exclusively use pre-cut and rolled kinesiotape because of their industry leading technology.
How does it work?
The tape is made with hypoallergenic acrylic glue, and is manufactured to be the same weight, thickness and elasticity as the skin and is therefore able to integrate with the body’s sensory system naturally. There are 3 possible categories of effect which have been identified depending on the method of application and the therapeutic outcome desired.
Dynamically supports better postural positions.
- Prevent harmful ranges of motion without a hard end feel.
- Reduce strain on affected muscle.
- Restoration of normal muscle activation and function.
- Enhanced sensory stimulation leading to decreased perception of pain.
- Reinforces the restoration of functional stability.
- Promotes peripheral neuroplasticity.
- Stimulation of the skin’s endogenous analgesic system.
- Wave pattern formation reduces swelling
- Superficial fascial thixotrophy.
- Improved lymphatic flow.
- Improved superficial microcirculatory flow.
Kinesio Taping plays a perfect role in the Integrated Therapy Process by providing the patient with a 24/7 treatment when the patient is not in the clinic. The tape stays on for up to 3-5 days, at which point the patient can be provided with a subsequent therapeutic treatment. This is another way in getting our patients back to their activities of daily living or sporting event at a faster rate.